My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

MythTV on Ubuntu

My next project was to install my WinTV PVR-250 and MythTV. I followed the directions at the Ubuntu Community Documentation site and specifically the directions for a Backend/Frontend/Desktop install with the exception I was building on a existing Ubuntu install so I skipped most of the initial steps and I started with installing the XFS Utilities:
# apt-get install xfsprogs
Then I set up NTP as specified. I did a "Synchronize Now" before since my clock was 10 minutes off. NTP was not installed, but I selected the auto installaion and all went fine.

For the WinTV-PVR 250 drivers I installed IVTV.

Now I installed MythTV. I skipped the mysql install since I already had it installed when I installed MediaWiki.
# apt-get install mythtv-frontend mythtv-backend mythtv-database
Now set up MythTV following the directions provided. Some details
  • Under Video Source setup, I set the Channel frequency table to "us-cable" since I have cable.
  • Chose the MPEG-2 encoder card (PVR-x50, PVR-500)
  • I registered with Zap2It as specified and got a username and password which I used for MythTV.
I synchronized the channel line up as specified:
# /etc/cron.daily/mythtv-backend
And launched the backend:
# /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
Starting MythTV server: mythbackend.
As suggested on the page I installed phpmyadmin:
sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
And added the channel icons.

And installed the mythplugins. Note I had to restart Apache for the /etc/group change to take effect:
# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
At this point I could run mythfrontend and everything seemed to be working great except for the remote control, which isn't working at this point. That will be the next post.

1 comment:

Von Welch said...

Not sure if installation of MythWeb was included in the above directions, but if not, it can be found here.