My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Installing VMWare server

So, I wanted to play with virtual machines. I installed VMWare-server following the directions here. I ended up installing VMware-server version 1.0.6 and this was on my Ubuntu 8.04.1 Desktop system.

BTW, the apt-get approach did not work for me.

I then proceeded to download Ubuntu 8.04.1 Server and installed it in a new VM. (BTW, I did try installing a Ubuntu appliance, but I had problems with eth0 not showing up, which in retrospect I suspect might have been solved if I had followed the directions here.)

Installing VMWare Tools into the VM was also tricky. I suspect because it had a 2.6.24-19-server kernel and most of the directions out there are for older kernels. The directions I did find that worked are here.

That's it. Have to say, I'm fairly impressed so far.

1 comment:

Von Welch said...

I noticed that making USB devices available to the VM takes a little extra tweaking. Specifically I had to edit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh as described here and reboot.