My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Installing VMServer 2.0.1

Having just upgraded to 9.04, it seemed like a good time to catch up on my VMWare server upgrades, since I was still on 1.0.7, which is getting a little old.

I started by trying to upgrade to 1.0.9, but I could not get the vmmon module to build...

So, I shifted gears and tried installing 2.0.1 following the directions at VMWare Server 2.01 on Ubuntu 9.04.

I downloaded the 2.0.1 tarball and tried installing it following those directions.
$tar xvfz ~/Downloads/VMware-server-2.0.1-156745.i386.tar.gz
$cd vmware-server-distrib/
$patch ./bin/vmware-config.pl ~/Downloads/vmware-config.pl.patch.txt
$sudo ./vmware-install.pl
I took the default answers except for the following:
Your computer has multiple ethernet network interfaces available: eth0, pan0,
wlan0. Which one do you want to bridge to vmnet0? [eth0] wlan0

The current administrative user for VMware Server is ''. Would you like to
specify a different administrator? [no] yes
Please specify the user whom you wish to be the VMware Server administrator
von
I actually goofed typing in my serial number, but looks like my existing VMServer 1.0 license worked.

2 comments:

fishfillet said...

Have tried inserting a USB device? Was it detected?

Von Welch said...

@fishfillet - not I haven't tried a USB device yet. If you are seeing problems, you might want to check out a previous post I made about problems with USB devices not appearing in VMs.