My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So long mythbuntu...

So we recently got a new HD Tivo, which left my ten year-old series one Tivo available. I decided to move it down to my den and remove mythbuntu from my linux box and make it media server.

My experience with mythbuntu was pretty good over all, the only real sore spot being occasional problems with lirc. Certainly if I didn't have a Tivo available, I'd still be using it.

Since I didn't really want to keep any of the recordings I had, I decided to reinstall the system from scratch. Here's my journey...

I choose Ubuntu Server 9.10 as my OS. Really the choice was between 9.10 and 8.04 LTS. I decided I wanted the latest and greatest more than stability. So I grabbed the ubuntu-9.10-server-amd64.iso, burned a CD and away I went.

Next decision was partitioning my three disks: sda @ 250GB, sdb @ 1TB, sdc @ 250GB. I decided to make sda my root and virtual machine partition. sdb was going to be for backups and then sdc for holding my media. So sda broke down as a 80GB root partition, a 1 GB /boot partition, a 19GB swap partition and the remainder (~150GB) as /vms. sdb and sdc were simply /mnt/backups and /mnt/media respectively.

The default install had me doing LVM (logical volume manager), but frankly I couldn't figure out how to getting it reconfigured correctly at a level that I was confident I knew what I was doing, so I disabled it.

Other options selected during the install:
  • Set to do security updates automatically
  • I installed: OpenSSH server, Samba Server and the LAMP Server.
  • I set the mysql root password to my password
After the install was complete I did the following:
Todo at this point:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
跌倒 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tboxmy said...

What will you use the server for? You mentioned Tivo, but not clear how you are using this.

Von Welch said...

I've have an actual Tivo, so not using it for that. Using it as a samba server to serve MP3s, photos, movies, etc. and handle backups to other systems.