My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Getting outgoing email working

I wanted outgoing email to work (should have done this a while ago). I basically followed these directions with one importance exception. When I ran "dpkg-reconfigure postfix" and it asked "Other destinations to accept mail for (blank for none):" I made this field "localhost, localhost.localdomain" - the default included the FQDN I entered for "mail name" which caused all email to that FQDN to be tried to delivered locally, which I didn't want.

This page was useful for figuring out by ISP's SMTP server.

If you have problems, look at the logs in /var/log/mail.*

Once I was sure everything was working, I added .forward files for all the users to redirect to my normal, external email account.

No comments: