My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

MythBuntu MythTV Tweaks

After getting MythBuntu installed, I did the following tweaks to MythTV:
  • Disabling DPMS (screen power saver): Previously I did it with the session manager, but Mythbuntu doesn't have the equivalent. So based on this thread, I did the following:
    $ vi ~/.xsessionrc
    $ cat ~/.xsessionrc
    xset s noblank
    xset s off
    xset -dpms
    Now restart desktop so changes take effect
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    Updated Oct 24, 2008: I later also disabled the gnome-screensaver
  • I was still getting commercials during playback of recorded shows. Poking around it seemed like all the options for commercial remove were select, but then I found under Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback on screen 8 "Automatically Skip Commercials" which I set to "Automatically Skip"
  • I wanted my familiar Blootube theme back. I found this under Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance on screen 1.
  • I wanted channel changing during live TV to take effect immediately. This was done with a combination of two options: Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> General screen 1, select "Change channels immediately without select", and Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback OSD screen 1, unselect "Always use Browse Mode"
  • Under Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback, screen 2, I set "Action on playback exit" to "Save Position and exit" and "Prompt at end of Recording".
  • Configured MythFillDatbase to run automatically. Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> General screen 6, enable "Automatically run mythfilldatabase". For "Arguments" I used "--refresh-all --quiet" and for "Log Path" I used "/tmp/mythfilldatabase.log". Everything else I left as is.
  • Next I wanted to get the extra buttons on my remote working. So under Utilities/Setup -> Edit Keys I bound keys to the various screens I wanted shortcuts to under "JumpPoints". (Hint: to jump to the "Watch Recordings" screen, use the "TV Recording Playback" action as the target.)

    A hint, run "irw" as root and press keys on your remote to figure out their names, e.g. the following shows me pressing the Blue and Go keys:
    # irw
    00000000000017a9 00 Blue Hauppauge_350
    00000000000017a9 01 Blue Hauppauge_350
    00000000000017a9 02 Blue Hauppauge_350
    00000000000017bb 00 Go Hauppauge_350
    00000000000017bb 01 Go Hauppauge_350
    00000000000017bb 02 Go Hauppauge_350


    The I edited ~/.lirc/mythtv and bound the remote commands to those keys (the "config" option).
    $ cd ~/.lirc
    $ cp mythtv mythtv.orig
    $ vi mythtv
    $ diff -c mythtv.orig mythtv
    *** mythtv.orig 2008-09-24 21:05:35.000000000 -0500
    --- mythtv 2008-09-24 21:39:34.000000000 -0500
    ***************
    *** 733,738 ****
    --- 733,774 ----
    begin
    remote = Hauppauge_350
    prog = mythtv
    + button = Blue
    + config = d
    + repeat = 0
    + delay = 0
    + end
    +
    + begin
    + remote = Hauppauge_350
    + prog = mythtv
    + button = Videos
    + config = r
    + repeat = 0
    + delay = 0
    + end
    +
    + begin
    + remote = Hauppauge_350
    + prog = mythtv
    + button = TV
    + config = l
    + repeat = 0
    + delay = 0
    + end
    +
    + begin
    + remote = Hauppauge_350
    + prog = mythtv
    + button = RED
    + config = m
    + repeat = 0
    + delay = 0
    + end
    +
    + begin
    + remote = Hauppauge_350
    + prog = mythtv
    button = 7
    config = 7
    repeat = 0

    Next I tried restarting lirc:

    sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart

    But that just caused my remote to stop working with mythtv all together, so I rebooted and all worked fine.


Wow, if it is possible for something to have too many options, MythTV is guilty...

No comments: