My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cron-apt and reboot needed...

I've noticed that when cron-apt upgrades the kernel and I don't get around to rebooting the system that day, it will keep "reinstalling" the new kernel each night it runs until I reboot the system.

Not sure what to do about this at the moment. Guess it doesn't really hurt anything. Since there doesn't seem to be any way of automatically detecting if a reboot is needed, the only option would seem to be always reboot nightly.

Going to think about this for a while. If anyone has any suggestions, please comment away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have you tried unattended-upgrades? I don't have the problem you described on Ubuntu 8.10 with the package unattended-upgrades. Maybe the problem is cron-apt?

Von Welch said...

@DaveGG - No, I hadn't headed of unattended-upgrades. Thanks for the pointer, I will give it a try. Best docs I can find are here