My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Evernote under Ubuntu with wine

I've been using EverNote for a while. It's nice on my Mac with the native client, and I have been using it via the web interface from my Ubuntu laptop. Looks like others have had success running it under wine, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I started by downloading the windows binary from http://www.evernote.com/about/download/

Then I ran the installer under wine:
% cd ~/Downloads/
% wine Evernote_3.1.0.1139.exe
There was a lot of warnings printed to the shell, but the install worked (I chose the "Express" option BTW).

EverNote started up. The first thing it does is sync and the message telling you it's syncing is a small message in the lower right, which is easy to overlook it turn giving the false impression it's hung. But after a couple minute it finished and I saw all my notes.

I've played with it a little so far. The video is a little sluggish, but still more spry than the web interface, so I'm happy.

No comments: