My ongoing experiences with Ubuntu, and later Mythbuntu, as a media center with MythTV. I'm also using the system for a virtual machine server, a mediawiki server and a general all around home infrastructure base.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Upgrading Ubuntu server VMs from 8.10 to 9.04

After my first attempt to upgrade a Ubuntu VM desktop image didn't work work due to lack of disk space, I decided to try my Ubuntu server VMs, which I had previously upgraded to 8.10.

I started by backing up the virtual machines (basically shut them down and tar'ed them up). Then I followed the direction for doing a network upgrade for Ubuntu servers. BTW, this took a while, I should have done it inside a screen session.

# apt-get install update-manager-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
update-manager-core is already the newest version.
Presumably I did that during the 8.10 upgrade, so on to step 2:
# do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new ubuntu release
Done Upgrade tool signature
Done Upgrade tool
Done downloading
extracting 'jaunty.tar.gz'
authenticate 'jaunty.tar.gz' against 'jaunty.tar.gz.gpg'

...a few minutes go by here...

1 package is going to be removed. 23 new packages are going to be
installed. 270 packages are going to be upgraded.

You have to download a total of 188M. This download will take about
15 minutes with your connection.

Fetching and installing the upgrade can take several hours. Once the
download has finished, the process cannot be cancelled.

Continue [yN] Details [d]y
Fetching

...25 minutes of downloading go by here...
At this point installs started and I answered various questions. I won't mention all of them, just hit the highlights...

I kept my version of the following files:
  • /etc/apache2/ports.conf and /etc/apache2/sites-available/default
  • /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
  • smb.conf
I went ahead and said "yes" to "17 packages are going to be removed."

Then I went ahead and answered yes to reboot and when the VM came back up, all looked good.

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jaunty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.04"
VMWare tools were even running:

$ ps auxwww | grep vmware
root 2448 0.3 0.1 2204 660 ? Ss 22:21 0:02 /usr/sbin/vmware-guestd --background /var/run/vmware-guestd.pid
That's it.

Upgrading another VM, I saw the following message, which I thought was interesting. I went ahead and said "y":
Continue running under SSH?

This session appears to be running under ssh. It is not recommended
to perform a upgrade over ssh currently because in case of failure it
is harder to recover.

If you continue, a additional ssh daemon will be started at port
'9004'.
Do you want to continue?

No comments: